A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Original

O is for Original.

Dictionary.com says:

o·rig·i·nal

adjective
1.
belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something, or to a thing at its beginning.
2.
new; fresh; inventive; novel
3.
arising or proceeding independently of anything else
4.
capable of or given to thinking or acting in an independent, creative, or individual manner
5.
created, undertaken, or presented for the first time

When I think about the word original, I often think about my children, and how unique they are.  Many things they say and do make me wonder at their cleverness and originality.  I spend a lot of time documenting those things right here, and in conversations with other people. 

I also think about original in terms of the first definition:  a thing at its beginning.  One of the many reasons I love homeschooling is because I love being there when my children learn something.  I love seeing learning in action.  One minute, they don't know something.  The next minute, they know it 
Another way to look at the word original is to talk about original sin.  We are sinners because Adam and Eve started us off running with their disobedience.  But I often wonder, if those two didn't choose the fruit, wouldn't their children have done so, or their children, or, theirs?  Or, say, me?  I often think that if nobody had sinned up until me, I still would have sinned.  I am a sinner.  There's no way around it.  Saved by grace, yes. Transformed daily, yes.  This is a reminder to myself, really.  I am often stuck marveling at my childrens' originality rather than helping them working out their salvation with fear and trembling (Philipians 2:12), because of our original sin. 
Or maybe we can do both?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Great "O" post. Original is better than being the same as everyone else. But teenagers don't see that. As far as the original sin goes. There's only one way out of that, too. he,he
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip